From the lantern room. . .seeing that beam of light reaching out to the sea and the startling reflection of the newly risen moon. . .puts everything in perspective.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

ALA Midwinter in Philadelphia

Midwinter was certainly different for me this year! I found myself running from the convention center rooms to the meeting rooms in the Marriott and back again -- I was definitely burning a campaign trail. I visited meetings of the ALA divisions, round tables, committees, caucaus but time just did not permit visiting everyone. Even though the meetings were brief, for those that expressed their concerns and suggestions, I thank you, as I learned so much. I will remember to address them and will come back to you for more input. Hearing from the units was the highlight of the conference. It was an exhausting --but exhilarating six days! With all the campaigning, it was hard to meet my obligations with BARC and Council!

I was impressed with the start of a greener conference. The SRRT asked attendees to bring their favorite mug to conference. This I hope continues and is just the beginning of establishing a green conference. There are so many areas were we could easily become greener -- for instance, the amount of paper used/wasted particularly in Council is unbelievable and should be the next area addressed.

If you were unable to attend Midwinter or did not get to the Candidates Forum, my Opening and Closing Statement is on the home page of my website as is my campaign brochure. The questions and answers from the Council forum will appear in the March issue of American Libraries. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me and let me know! Also check the dates of my schedule and talk to me in person.

No comments: